Aggregator
Jaxson Dart’s girlfriend Marissa Ayers stuns in Miami Swim Week runway debut
Get last-minute Golden Knights-Hurricanes Stanley Cup tickets with a discount
Brooks Nader is over string bikinis, thanks to ‘Baywatch’
Brooks Nader is over string bikinis, thanks to ‘Baywatch’
2026 NBA Finals MVP odds: New favorite emerges with shocking Knicks-Spurs billing
Taiwan's Opposition Leader Tours US, Fresh Off Xi Meeting, As Trump Nixes Call With Taiwanese President
Just two weeks ago, when fielding questions from reporters about the now paused massive US arms package to Taiwan, President Trump stated: "I have to speak to the person that right now is - you know who he is - that's running Taiwan."
And now, in the wake of Trump's May Bejing visit to meet within Xi Jinping, CBS reports, "President Trump is no longer expected to speak with Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te before Chinese President Xi Jinping's potential trip to the United States this fall, multiple sources familiar with the discussions" stated.
Xi had warned Trump that Taiwan could become a "very dangerous situation" if mishandled - and since then the estimated $14 billion weapons package has been put on pause.
Reuters: Cheng Li-wun, chairwoman of Taiwan’s Kuomintang, with Chinese leader Xi Jinping at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing in April.That a sitting US president is not speaking to Taiwan's elected leader is actually normal based on Washington's policy of strategic ambiguity, and official acknowledgement of 'One China'. Trump is signaling that this will not change for now:
No sitting U.S. president has spoken directly with a Taiwanese leader since 1979 due to diplomatic sensitivities in managing relations with China, although in December 2016, while Mr. Trump was president-elect, he received a congratulatory call from then-Taiwanese President Tsai Ying-wen.
"I think [Lai], if he has time, would love to tell him our side of the story, the Taiwan story, which is one that — of resiliency, of a state staying up against the Chinese aggression," Alexander Yui, Taiwan's Representative to the U.S., told "Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan" on May 17.
But while the self-ruled island's leader Lai Ching-te is in political limbo and waiting on the sidelines as Washington and Beijing continue to try and heal relations, the head of Taiwan's lead opposition party will be touring around the United States:
In April, Cheng Li-wun became the first leader of Taiwan’s main opposition party to meet Xi Jinping in a decade. On Monday, she is flying to the U.S. with a message Beijing would recognize as its own.
Cheng, the chairwoman of the Kuomintang, is set to begin a two-week U.S. tour that is billed as a peace mission but also carries the weight of U.S.-China geopolitics. It is happening as Beijing is urging Washington to rethink its support for Taiwan, a self-ruled democratic island that doesn’t recognize Beijing’s claim to govern it.
Cheng is a possible contender in Taiwan’s 2028 presidential election, in a party that has traditionally supported reconciliation with China. Her message for an American audience is that Taiwan—formally the Republic of China, not to be confused with the People’s Republic of China—operates under a constitution that already supports the principle that the island and the mainland are part of a single China. Cheng maintains that she, not the current government, is the leader best positioned to guarantee stability across the Taiwan Strait.
Importantly, The Wall Street Journal speculates on the possibility of Cheng meeting with Trump, or possibly other White House officials - though it seems unlikely:
If Cheng returns home having secured high-level American access, she can present herself back home as the one figure capable of managing both Beijing and Washington.
“That,” Sacks said, “would be a fairly formidable proposition.”
The question is whether President Trump will play along. People close to the White House said Cheng shouldn’t expect meetings with top administration officials, pointing to a policy framework in which the administration engages foreign opposition leaders only when they are seen as likely future heads of government—a bar Cheng hasn’t cleared.
Cheng has expressed her willingness to meet Trump, though she has also said that is likely to be hard.
This is all about steering self-ruled Taiwan into China's orbit, and Beijing asserting political power to do so in the face of the Trump administration, after China has long stated its official policy of reunification to the mainland through political means.
Beijing has continued to present itself as the only peace guarantor and as a force for stability and is seeking 'Taiwan's willing participation' - at a moment the Middle East is on fire largely as a result of American policy and quickness to result to force and surprise attacks.
It will be interesting to see who in the Administration will meet with her. At a minimum, it will be the Managing Director of AIT Washington, Ingrid D. Larson.
Taiwan’s main opposition leader, Cheng Li-wun, is set to begin a two-week U.S. tour as Beijing urges Washington to…
Xi and Cheng, when they met in Beijing back in early April, expressed a desire for a "peaceful" resolution to the many decades-long Taiwan crisis, and posed for photos at the Great Hall of the People. They engaged in public remarks but also held a private, closed-door meeting.
Cheng emphasized in words to reporters that Chinese and Taiwanese officials should work to "transcend political confrontation and mutual hostility." She stated, "Instead, it should become a strait that connects family ties, civilization and hope – a symbol of peace jointly safeguarded by Chinese people on both sides."
Her rhetoric was tinged with familiar Chinese Communist Party talking points as she heralded China's supposed eradicating of absolute poverty while seeking to achieve the "great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation".
Tyler Durden Mon, 06/01/2026 - 14:10Sydney Sweeney trades vintage Chanel for plunging LBD during duo of dates with Scooter Braun
Sydney Sweeney trades vintage Chanel for plunging LBD during duo of dates with Scooter Braun
Walmart worker claims female boss sent naked photos, texted ‘we are having sex’ and tried to assault him in a car: suit
Giants sign JuJu Smith-Schuster in third receiver signing of the day
Bella Hadid glows in all-white ensemble and more star snaps
Bella Hadid glows in all-white ensemble and more star snaps
US Coast Guard Eliminates Race-Based Enlistment Preferences
Authored by Naveen Athrappully via The Epoch Times,
The U.S. Coast Guard has eliminated race-based preferential enlistment for college students who wish to join the service and commission as officers, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said in a May 29 statement.
“The program in question, the College Student Pre-Commissioning Initiative (CSPI), includes a preference for students from educational institutions that meet certain quotas for specifically identified racial groups in their student bodies,” DHS said.
“Such requirements stand in stark contrast to the Trump Administration’s focus on fairness, merit, and eliminating diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) policies throughout the federal government. They are also in violation of the equal protection requirements of the U.S. Constitution.”
CSPI is a scholarship program aimed at college juniors and seniors. Students who join the program become active-duty Coast Guard members and are entitled to military benefits. The enrollees remain at the university until they complete their degrees.
During academic breaks, the students work with the Coast Guard. A mentor will be assigned to guide each student as they prepare to begin their career, according to the Coast Guard website.
To apply for CSPI, the student must be a sophomore or junior at a federally designated Minority Serving Institution, according to the website.
Such schools include Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Hispanic-Serving Institutions, Asian American and Native American and Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions, Predominantly Black Institutions, Tribal Colleges and Universities, Native American Non-Tribal Institutions, and Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian-Serving Institutions.
DHS said it has terminated such requirements as of May 28.
With the elimination of racial requirements, CSPI will function as a race-neutral program in which becoming commissioned officers in the Coast Guard will be determined by merit and achievement rather than “immutable characteristics,” the department said.
“The Trump Administration is more focused than ever on eliminating unconstitutional DEI policies like this one,” DHS general counsel James Percival said.
“By getting rid of these unconstitutional diversity quotas, we are returning the Coast Guard’s focus to military readiness, upholding the law, and making America a safer place.”
Crackdown on Military DEIOn Dec. 18 last year, President Donald Trump signed into law the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2026, which authorized $901 billion in military and national security spending.
Sec. 901 of the bill prohibited DEI programs in the Department of War. The Secretary of War was banned from developing, implementing, or maintaining “an employee resource group or an affinity group based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.”
The secretary was also prohibited from developing a training course related to diversity, equity, inclusion, intersectionality, and any critical theory related to race or gender.
Prior to the bill’s signing, the Modern Military Association of America had criticized the anti-DEI measures, calling them “harmful provisions,” according to a Dec. 10, 2025, statement from the association.
“The strength of the U.S. military lies not only in its size, but in its ability to draw on the talents, skills, and lived experiences of Americans from all backgrounds. A diverse force is more agile, innovative, and prepared to meet the complex challenges of modern warfare,” the association said.
“If enacted, they would jeopardize the health and well-being of service members, undermine recruitment and retention, and weaken overall military readiness.”
The Trump administration has steadily moved ahead with dismantling DEI policies and practices in the military despite opposition.
On Jan, 20, 2025, the first day in office of his second term, Trump issued the presidential action “Ending Radical and Wasteful Government DEI Programs and Preferencing.”
On Jan.27, 2025, Trump signed another presidential action, stating that individuals expressing false “gender identity” cannot “satisfy the rigorous standards necessary for military service.”
In a July 20, 2025, announcement on X, Secretary of War Pete Hegseth said that after Trump was sworn into office, the Defense Department moved on three key initiatives—reestablishing deterrence, rebuilding the military, and restoring warrior ethos. This includes reevaluating DEI practices in the military.
“The results so far? Distractions like DEI, [critical race theory], social justice, politically correct stuff—gone,” Hegseth said.
During a May 23 address at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York, Hegseth doubled down on his criticism of DEI in the military. He called the slogan “our diversity is our strength” the “single dumbest phrase” in military history.
“Now, these sorts of silly things can be laughed at when they occur in a civilian lounge or civilian faculty lounge or debated in graduate seminars. But they cannot be tolerated in our formations. These ideas are what get people killed. Diversity is not our strength. Unity is our strength,” Hegseth said.
Tyler Durden Mon, 06/01/2026 - 13:55Fugitive sicko accused of tying up girlfriend with bedsheets and throttling her is busted at Legoland
Bronx physicist becomes first to receive life-altering, 3D-printed robo-arm
Barry Diller Bets Big On Real-World Assets AI Can't Replace With MGM Resorts Bid
People Incorporated, formerly IAC and run by Barry Diller, has submitted a non-binding proposal to acquire the remaining MGM Resorts shares it does not already own for $48.30 per share in cash.
The latest Bloomberg data show People Inc. owns 26.1% of MGM Resorts, or about 66.82 million shares. The offer to buy the remainder would cover roughly 73.9% of MGM that is not already owned.
The $48.30-per-share offer represents a 24.1% premium to MGM's 30-day volume-weighted average price, more than a 30% premium to its 90-day VWAP, and a 10.6% premium to the most recent closing price. Such a deal would value MGM Resorts at $18.8 billion, including debt
MGM Resorts shares are up 15% in late morning trade.
"We began investing in MGM nearly six years ago because we believed it represented a rare kind of business: one with real-world assets that AI cannot easily replicate or disintermediate and exceptional digital growth opportunities. That conviction has only strengthened over time," Diller wrote in a statement.
He continued, "We continue to believe the market materially undervalues the power and durability of MGM's assets. We believe MGM's management team is superb, and that there is a compelling opportunity to support MGM's next phase of growth and help unlock its full value."
People Inc. expects MGM to go private if the deal proceeds. It would fund the transaction with cash on hand at both People and MGM, as well as additional debt and equity commitments.
"People Incorporated expects that it will own just over 50.1% of the equity of the company, with other investors (which may include existing shareholders of MGM) holding minority interests. People Incorporated would control the MGM business," Diller's firm stated.
News of the take-MGM-private deal comes days after Tilman Fertitta, the Texas billionaire behind Golden Nugget and Landry's, reportedly prepared a $5.7 billion takeover of Caesars Entertainment.
Is Wall Street's next big trade a rush into assets AI can't easily disrupt?
Tyler Durden Mon, 06/01/2026 - 13:40Google engineer charged with insider Polymarket bets poised to lose millions in stock grants: report
Tarik Skubal believed to be a ‘goner’ — and Dodgers are expected to be in trade mix
Trump: Hezbollah Agrees Shooting Will Stop & Israel Will Avert Attack On Beirut
Update(1335ET): In a rare development, Iran itself is now issuing warnings for northern Israel. Tehran is saying that if Beirut comes under fresh Israeli attack, then new assaults on northern Israeli settlements will in turn be unleashed:
Iran’s Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters has warned residents of northern Israel to leave the area if Israel carries out threats to expand attacks on Beirut and its southern suburbs.
But at the same time there are reports saying Hezbollah has indicated to Washington that it is ready to agree to a ceasefire if Israel does the same. And more:
- HEZBOLLAH SAYS CONSENT WOULD BE WITHOUT PRECONDITION:CHANNEL 12
- TRUMP: HEZBOLLAH, ISRAEL AGREE NOT TO ATTACK EACH OTHER
Trump phone call with Netanyahu: Hezbollah agrees shooting will stop; will be no IDF troops going to Beirut:
Regional Asharq news writes that "Lebanon informed the US of Hezbollah's acceptance of Washington's proposal and its readiness to commit to not targeting Israel." But a ground war in southern Lebanon is already well underway - and a truce would likely be determinant on some level of an IDF withdrawal of territory captured in the last days.
* * *
The US-Iran ceasefire is being tested on multiple fronts, with Tehran already having announced Monday the suspension of contact with Washington over the escalation of Israel's ground war in Lebanon, where the IDF keeps pushing further north of the Litani River. Israel looks poised to resume major airstrikes on Beirut, despite that technically it has a US-mediated ceasefire in place with the government of Lebanon. Israeli leaders have vowed to halt Hezbollah's persistent drone strikes on northern Israel, and to establish a security buffer zone.
Also on Monday Israel's defense minister threatened there will be "no calm in Beirut" if Hezbollah's rockets and drones continue raining down on Israeli communities and troop locations. This is a direct threat to resume airstrikes on the capital city. This has direct impact on the US-Iran ceasefire:
IRAN'S STATE TV SAYS PROBABILITY OF CEASEFIRE BETWEEN IRAN AND U.S. ENDING IS HIGH IF ATTACKS ON LEBANON DO NOT STOP
via EuroNews"The Dahiyeh in Beirut is no different from the communities in northern Israel – if there is no calm in the north, there will be no calm in Beirut," Israel Katz said in a statement released by his office,
Dahiyeh a Hezbollah stronghold near the country's main international airport, but is densely packed with civilians. Each wave of Israeli attacks has historically resulted in high civilian casualties.
"At the same time, the IDF continues to operate with fire and maneuver against Hezbollah terrorists and infrastructure in Lebanon ... in order to push threats away from IDF forces and from the residents of the State of Israel, and to turn the Litani area into a zone under IDF security control, free of weapons and terrorists," Katz added.
Some pundits have argued that the new Lebanon campaign is aimed at hindering Washington from making a 'bad deal' with Tehran (from Tel Aviv's perspective). Others have said Netanyahu appears "stuck" and doesn't have a clear mission in Lebanon:
Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu is “stuck” in terms of military strategy in Lebanon, according to Jad Melki, professor of media studies at the Lebanese American University.
Melki told Al Jazeera that most of Israel’s escalation has been targeting civilian centres in the city of Tyre, villages in south Lebanon, and historical sites like Beaufort Castle.
“Most of these have been built by Netanyahu as major strategic accomplishments, but those have been mostly exaggerated. Even the Beaufort Castle – unless we’re living in the 12th century, it’s not a strategic military location anymore,” he said.
“The problem is that Netanyahu is stuck,” Melki told Al Jazeera. “He cannot advance very quickly, as he will break the Israeli army, and he cannot sit still in the occupied territories of South Lebanon right now because the resistance is basically hunting his soldiers like sitting ducks, so he’s stuck and can only bomb hospitals and kill civilians and medical workers.”
Opinions have remained varied as to what Israel hopes to gain by escalating things in Lebanon at this fragile point where Israeli is at war on multiple fronts (and might the Houthis join next?):
Told @BeckyCNN:
- IRGC media claim suspension of Iran-US exchanges of messages, but we should be cautious pending official announcement.
- Israel may tell Trump that escalation in Lebanon will strengthen his hand vs Iran, but likely aim is to derail Iran-US diplomacy. pic.twitter.com/NWmTQsbIbg
Local Israeli media outlets have also in some cases questioned the strategic utility of the entire operation in establishing a 'buffer zone', pointing out that Hezbollah’s tactical drone fleet is widely believed to possess an operational range in excess of 30 km.
Hezbollah has been having success especially with fiber-optic cable drones which are not to susceptible to jamming, hacking, or other electronic warfare interception measures. All of these developments mean that the Washington-mediated ceasefire is effectively dead, and as Hezbollah's asymmetric warfare is likely to ramp up in response.
Tyler Durden Mon, 06/01/2026 - 13:34