Aggregator
Apple's OpenAI Trade-Secret War Ramps Up With Preservation Letters To Dozens Of Ex-Employees
Apple's legal fight with OpenAI is spilling well beyond the courtroom. A week after suing the ChatGPT maker over alleged theft of its hardware secrets, Apple's lawyers have sent personal document-preservation letters to about 40 former Apple employees now working at OpenAI, according to the Financial Times - roughly 10 percent of the some 400 ex-Apple staff now at the company. The letters direct recipients to retain records and demand meetings with Apple's attorneys, FT reports, a breadth that signals the dispute could widen far past the two people named in the original complaint.
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman speaks during the Microsoft Build conference at the Seattle Convention Center Summit Building in Seattle in May 2024. | AFP-JIJIThe escalation builds on the blockbuster suit Apple filed July 10 in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, accusing OpenAI, io Products, and former Apple personnel of misappropriating trade secrets to fast-track AI hardware development. As we reported at the time, the complaint lays out a months-long scheme centered on two former Apple employees now at OpenAI: Tang Tan, OpenAI's chief hardware officer and a former Apple VP of product design, and Chang Liu, a former Apple senior electrical engineer.
Apple alleges the pair directed OpenAI recruits still working at Apple to hand over confidential details on unreleased devices, components, manufacturing processes, and suppliers. According to the filing, Tan instructed interviewees to bring "actual parts" - batteries, logic boards, chip packages - for "show and tell," used Apple's internal codenames to draw out information only insiders would know to ask about, and circulated an Apple "Need to Know" offboarding document to coach new OpenAI hires on how to dodge the company's exit-security checks.
The complaint's allegations against Liu are equally striking. Apple says he kept a work-issued laptop after leaving and discovered a bug that let him reach Apple's cloud file storage while employed at OpenAI, allegedly downloading dozens of confidential files. "LOL, I found out I can access the [network storage], so funny," he wrote to a former colleague still at Apple, according to the filing. Apple further alleges OpenAI approached one of its suppliers using confidential design information and had a partner perform a proprietary metal-finishing technique, misleading the partner into believing Apple had granted permission.
Apple describes the conduct as "the tip of the iceberg" and says OpenAI's hardware business is "rotten to its core" by its reliance on misappropriated information. The company says it first contacted OpenAI in February with its concerns and received no response before filing suit.
OpenAI has denied wrongdoing. "We have no interest in other companies' trade secrets. We remain focused on building innovative technology that empowers people everywhere," a company representative said.
The clash marks a stark reversal for two firms that entered a high-profile partnership in 2024, integrating ChatGPT into Apple Intelligence and Siri. Apple has since turned to Google, using its models as the foundation for a ChatGPT-style voice and text assistant unveiled in June. OpenAI's own hardware push is being led by former Apple design chief Jony Ive - not named in the suit - whose startup io OpenAI acquired last year in a deal valued at $6.5 billion. The mounting legal exposure lands as OpenAI gears up for what is expected to be a historic IPO.
Tyler Durden Fri, 07/17/2026 - 11:10Parents of teens killed by tainted liquor in Laos are angry at expected charges: ‘It’s like their lives didn’t even matter’
Plane passenger invoked Sharia law to avoid sitting next to a woman —then attacked female flight attendant: cops
New Movies on Streaming: ‘Backrooms,’ ‘The Breadwinner,’ and More
Chinese AI firm Moonshot unveils powerful model with capabilities close to Anthropic, OpenAI
‘Stranger Things’ star Millie Bobby Brown surprises adorable NYC kids with acting lesson: ‘She’s so British’
How Ethan Slater found out about ex Ariana Grande’s back-on relationship with Ricky Alvarez: report
How Ethan Slater found out about ex Ariana Grande’s back-on relationship with Ricky Alvarez: report
Terrifying Surveillance Footage Shows Woman Shielding Child During Russian Strike in Ukraine
Dem trans activist vying to replace candidate Graham Platner for Senate goes viral over absurd debate answer
Olympic reporter went into ‘spiral’ after drunk live TV spot went viral
Gwyneth Paltrow, 53, bares it all and drops her towel in cheeky new Goop promo
Gwyneth Paltrow, 53, bares it all and drops her towel in cheeky new Goop promo
LA’s top federal prosecutor lays down the gauntlet with Gov. Gavin Newsom over voter fraud claims
Trump To Attend World Cup Final
Authored by Zachary Stieber via The Epoch Times,
President Donald Trump plans to attend the final game of the 2026 World Cup, the White House said on July 16.
Trump was traveling on Friday to New York City to attend a FIFA reception at Trump Tower, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters in Washington. He is then slated to take in the Spain–Argentina final on Sunday at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.
“His attendance will cap what has been the most watched, more secure, and most successful World Cup in American history,” Leavitt said.
“This is a fitting conclusion to a tournament that showcased America’s ability to host the world on the grandest stage.”
The United States had previously hosted the World Cup once, in 1994.
More than 80,000 people are expected to attend the World Cup final on Sunday, which kicks off at 3 p.m. ET.
Trump regularly attends sporting matches, including an NBA finals game in New York City in July and the Club World Cup final in 2025.
Trump has not attended any World Cup games yet, although members of his Cabinet have watched several in person.
The World Cup featured games in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.
The U.S. national team earned a spot in the knockout rounds and defeated Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Round of 32. During that match, the referee handed a red card to American player Folarin Balogun, prompting Trump to call FIFA President Gianni Infantino.
A FIFA committee subsequently suspended the ban that Balogun faced for receiving the red card, enabling the striker to play against Belgium. The United States lost 1–4 in the July 6 game.
Belgium went on to lose to Spain, which then knocked out favorite France. Argentina beat England in the other semifinal.
Argentina won the previous World Cup in 2022 and also has two other triumphs. Spain won the World Cup in 2010 in its sole final appearance.
The two sides have only met once before at the World Cup. Argentina won the 1966 match 2–1.
Infantino said in June that he and Trump would jointly deliver the World Cup trophy to whichever team wins the championship match.
“We will be together with the president enjoying the final and handing the trophy to the winner, of course, together,” Infantino said at the time.
Infantino has praised Trump in the past and awarded him FIFA’s inaugural peace prize in 2025 for the president’s efforts to bring about peace agreements in the Middle East and elsewhere.
Tyler Durden Fri, 07/17/2026 - 10:50