Aggregator
Hegseth Announces New Mandatory Military Testosterone Tests
Authored by Jack Phillips via The Epoch Times,
Department of War Secretary Pete Hegseth on Wednesday announced a measure to screen U.S. armed forces members’ testosterone levels and offer therapy as a way to optimize the military’s performance.
“While we invest heavily in our weapon systems, platforms, and gear, our most decisive tactical advantage will always be the individual warfighter,” Hegseth said in a video, titled, “The High-T Department of War,” released on X.
“We have a sacred duty to maintain that advantage, which is why we must constantly look for new ways to optimize your performance, your resilience, and your long-term health.”
The hormone tests will be initiated for troops aged 30 and older, although soldiers under that age threshold can voluntarily get tested, the Pentagon chief said.
Hegseth explained that the new screening program will make sure that troops “have the right testosterone levels to operate at [their] absolute best because it’s well-established science that as we age, testosterone levels often naturally drop.”
“This initiative, it’s not about artificial enhancement. It’s about restoring and optimizing your natural capabilities, protecting your longevity, and ensuring you have the biological foundation required to sustain the fight,” he continued.
“We owe our warriors the absolute best medical care in the world. And this program delivers on that obligation.”
The screenings, he added, will be mandatory for service members who are eligible, but that treatment would be voluntary. “If treatment is recommended, it’s entirely your choice to receive testosterone replacement therapy,” Hegseth said.
The Department of War has not yet issued more details on when the screening requirement would be implemented or when more medical guidance will be released.
Hegseth, a former member of the National Guard and Fox News host, has initiated stricter fitness standards for the U.S. military, also working out with service members in videos posted on social media. In addition, he imposed a ban on most service members from having beards.
“By addressing these health markers early, we’re keeping you on the leading edge of lethality and giving you the same level of support that you give this nation—the absolute best,” Hegseth said Wednesday.
Testosterone levels in men decline naturally with age and have been linked to issues such as mood changes, weight gain, and a loss of muscle mass or hair. But health experts have debated for years how to diagnose the problems and whether they should be treated with replacement therapy.
Hegseth’s announcement comes as Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and other Trump administration officials are moving to make it easier for doctors to prescribe testosterone. Last month, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) proposed easing prescribing limits on testosterone gels, pills, patches, and injections.
Some studies have shown overall declines in young and adolescent males’ testosterone levels since the 1990s. An Israeli global study released earlier this month found that male testosterone levels have halved in the past 50 years, a researcher involved in the study told The Guardian in an article published July 7.
Another study published in 2020 by The Journal of Urology found that testosterone deficiency has a prevalence of 10 percent to 40 percent among adult males, and 20 percent among males aged 15 to 39 years old.
A Yale researcher involved in the study, Soum Lokeshwar, said that the overall decline in testosterone could be attributed to several factors including “an aging population with older males exhibiting lower testosterone levels” as well as an “increase in comorbidities, including diabetes, which may have cause this testosterone decrease nationally.”
Previously, the FDA had issued caution about using certain testosterone products, saying in early 2025 it was “adding a warning about the risk of increased blood pressure to the prescribing information of testosterone products that currently do not include this information based on the results of separate blood pressure monitoring studies.” However, the agency said it removed a previous warning about a possible risk of heart attack or stroke when comparing such treatments with a placebo.
Tyler Durden Wed, 07/15/2026 - 22:35Michael Kay, Paul O’Neill open up on the state of Yankees heading into second half — and what’s the biggest concern
‘90 Day Fiancé’ star turned away at US border trying to visit daughter in Arizona ICU with brain bleed
‘90 Day Fiancé’ star turned away at US border trying to visit daughter in Arizona ICU with brain bleed
‘Lost’ star quietly divorced husband last year after 7 years of marriage
‘Lost’ star quietly divorced husband last year after 7 years of marriage
Miranda Devine: The Dems’ attempt to become the party of ‘manly men’ proves they’re getting dumb and dumber
Firefighters rescue man from s–tty situation after he gets trapped in porta-potty in Kansas City
Aaron Judge’s status, Dodgers’ three-peat chase and trade deadline: MLB’s biggest second-half storylines
Crips’ alleged open-air crack bazaar near Petco Park crushed as 30 accused gang members and associates face federal charges
Australia Slaps Power, Water, And Copyright Rules On Data Centers After Anthropic Lobbying Push
Over the last year or so, several US states have taken measures to regulate or prevent data centers from being built, citing local concerns over electricity and water use, pollution (noise and otherwise), and the fact that they're a godawful eyesore. On Tuesday, New York became the first state to enact a one-year ban on data centers. Pennsylvania, meanwhile, is slapping heavy new regulations on them.
DCI Data Centers facility in Adelaide (ADL02)The revolt has gone worldwide - as Australia will impose mandatory national rules on large-scale artificial-intelligence data centers, requiring operators to minimize water consumption, fully fund their power needs and underwrite new electricity generation, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced Wednesday.
The measures, part of a broader push to define AI's "social licence," come after extensive engagement with AI companies - including Anthropic - and reflect the government's determination to balance investment attraction with protections for energy resources, the environment, creators, and national interests.
In a major speech at the University of Sydney, Albanese warned of a narrow window to set conditions before major foreign investments lock in - suggesting that the new rules are in response to intense industry lobbying and consultations, while rejecting softer approaches on copyright favored by some tech players.
He also gave assurances to Australian musicians, writers, artists and journalists, declaring that they must retain ownership and control of their work - including the right to name their price in any AI licensing deals.
"Anything less is theft," he said. "No company should use Australian books, music, art or news to build or train AI without the artist's control."
The remarks push back against proposals from AI developers, including Anthropic, which had advocated for alternatives such as a shared creative fund. Albanese made clear the government would not dilute existing copyright principles. He told reporters he was unconcerned that the firm stance would deter investment, noting direct meetings with companies including Anthropic where the position was conveyed plainly.
"We're confident the advantages that Australia provides will see significant investment here," he said.
Anthropic's general counsel, Jeff Bleich, responded positively, saying the company respects the process and takes seriously its responsibility to meet the Australian government's terms for AI developers. He noted that societal-level solutions are needed given AI's benefits and challenges for economies and national security.
Data-Center Rules Target Resource StrainThe mandatory standards, to be agreed at a National Cabinet meeting next month and legislated early next year, will replace fragmented state-level approaches. They will specify permissible locations for data centers and impose obligations on power and water use.
Operators must pay the full cost of grid connections, underwrite new generation capacity, and contribute at least as much energy to the grid as they consume - including renewables backed by firming power - so households do not bear the burden. Water use must be minimized, with companies covering additional infrastructure costs where needed.
Albanese framed the rules as essential for sovereign capability. "Our great country can be much more than a data warehouse for AI products made overseas," he said.
The approach aims to provide investor certainty while preserving community confidence. South Australia already maintains a dedicated framework, while Queensland has expressed caution on national renewable-energy proposals.
Coordinated Oversight and Worker InputA new Office of AI will be established within the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet to coordinate efforts across portfolios ranging from education and employment to energy, copyright and defence.
On the labor front, Albanese encouraged workers to engage actively in shaping AI deployment in their workplaces rather than being sidelined. Businesses could reap "massive productivity benefits," he said, but employees have a stake in ensuring those gains translate into better conditions. ACTU Secretary Sally McManus welcomed the coordinated national approach and stressed employers' duty to consult and mitigate harms.
The only question is - will New Zealand step up and protect Flight of the Conchords from AI replicants and copyright malarkey?
Tyler Durden Wed, 07/15/2026 - 22:10Bryson DeChambeau looking to snap ugly major skid at British Open
Karl-Anthony Towns takes brutal jab at Cavs during ESPYs: ‘Should win this one analytically’
Steve Kerr responds to Warriors fan about LeBron James: ‘We got him’
Mets sign top pick Carson Wiggins after touting him as potential ‘front-line’ starter
Man jumps to his death from Los Angeles City Hall
Brianna ‘Chickenfry’ LaPaglia makes outrageous claims about Bunnie Xo and Jelly Roll’s divorce
Brianna ‘Chickenfry’ LaPaglia makes outrageous claims about Bunnie Xo and Jelly Roll’s divorce
Key Takeaways From DNI Nominee Jay Clayton's Confirmation Hearing
Authored by Timothy Frudd via The Epoch Times,
U.S. Attorney Jay Clayton shared his vision for the Intelligence Community during his confirmation hearing for the position of director of national intelligence (DNI) on July 15.
Clayton, who was nominated last month by President Donald Trump, faced questions from lawmakers regarding the independence of the DNI and key national security issues facing the United States.
The hearing before the Senate Intelligence Committee was held on July 15 after President Donald Trump canceled Clayton’s initial June 17 hearing.
Trump canceled the initial DNI confirmation hearing after accusing Democrats of breaking an agreement to remove acting DNI Bill Pulte, who was appointed last month, in return for the approval of a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) extension.
Pulte was appointed by the president after former DNI Tulsi Gabbard announced her resignation from the office to support her husband, Abraham Wilson, who was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.
Here are some key takeaways from the hearing.
Mission ObjectivesAs part of his testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee, Clayton emphasized that he would work to increase the American public’s trust in the DNI office, the Intelligence Community, and the federal government.
He said the DNI office’s mission is to ensure that the president, Congress, policymakers, and military leaders are provided the “best possible intelligence in a timely, objective, and independent manner.”
“If confirmed, I will work to strengthen the coordination and communication between the Intelligence Community and the people we serve,” he said.
Clayton told the Senate Intelligence Committee that he would approach the role Trump nominated him for with a “mission-focused” and “team-oriented” perspective.
He said he would work with the committee members to develop the Intelligence Community’s commitment to its mission, strategic objectives that advance its mission, and metrics that help assess and improve its operations.
Journalists SubpoenaedDuring the July 15 hearing, Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) questioned Clayton regarding the Southern District of New York’s recent decision to subpoena journalists at The New York Times.
The journalists were subpoenaed by the Southern District of New York, which he currently leads as U.S. attorney, after reporting on concerns regarding the safety of the president’s new Air Force One aircraft.
While Wyden suggested that the subpoenas represented a “flagrant attack on journalists,” Clayton testified that he is “absolutely committed to” and respects both the First Amendment and the role of the press.
He said he could not discuss the specifics of the investigation at the public hearing as it remains ongoing.
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) said the subpoenas appeared to have been issued in a “quite aggressive way” since they were issued to the journalists at their homes instead of their place of business.
Sen. Michael Bennet (D-Colo.) questioned how quickly the subpoenas were issued and whether Clayton or anyone from his office consulted with the White House or the Department of Justice beforehand.
Clayton repeatedly said the Southern District of New York’s office followed its protocols, which include consulting the Department of Justice, and said the time frames for issuing subpoenas depend on facts and circumstances.
“I’m confident that the procedures that we have in place to protect the First Amendment and protect the freedom of the press and not result in intimidation of journalists or the like were followed,” he said.
Election IntegrityClayton was pressed multiple times by the committee’s Democratic senators throughout the hearing to give his views on the 2020 presidential election and the security of U.S. elections.
In response to Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), the top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, asking whether former President Joe Biden won the 2020 election, Clayton confirmed he was not an “election denier.”
“Joe Biden was certified as the president of the United States,” he said. “Let me just be clear. We have substantial work to do ... in improving our electoral processes.”
Clayton emphasized that one of the responsibilities of the DNI role was dealing with foreign interference in U.S. elections, something he said he was “gravely concerned about.”
Asked about his prior criticisms of U.S. election integrity, Clayton said the United States can take steps to improve ballot access while strengthening election integrity.
“I’m a big believer that we can have better access than we’ve ever had before and better integrity than we’ve ever had before,” he said.
Top ThreatsAfter being questioned about the 2020 election, Sen. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.) asked Clayton to share his view of the top threats currently facing the United States.
Clayton suggested that the top threats include terrorism, drug trafficking, cartels, and traditional U.S. adversaries.
Trump’s DNI nominee said the United States currently faces terrorism threats from many sources.
Clayton also warned that drug trafficking and fentanyl deaths presented an “incredible threat.”
However, he said the United States has “done a good job” of reducing the danger.
While Clayton did not list specific countries, he said the combination of cartels, militaries, and businesses in certain countries was very dangerous.
He also said Russia, China, and Iran remained threats to the United States.
Clayton said his experience as the head of the Securities and Exchange Commission would allow him to be “extremely helpful” in understanding and using economic strategies against traditional U.S. adversaries.
He told the committee that some of the “most formidable threat actors” are the countries that are the most well-funded.
Clayton suggested that U.S. adversaries not only look for “traditional ways” to harm Americans but also for economic ways to harm Americans.
He said the Intelligence Community should provide an understanding of the economic consequences of various actions.
Artificial IntelligenceClayton said the expansion of artificial intelligence (AI) has led to an increased need for oversight and controls to protect the American public.
Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) described AI as a “game changer” and warned that Americans could view the technology as a threat, especially if the government used it to collect personal data.
He asked Clayton how the Intelligence Community would use AI to gather information while also protecting the privacy of U.S. citizens under his leadership.
If confirmed, Clayton said that the Intelligence Community would continue to collect necessary data to provide “a good intelligence product” while respecting Americans’ Fourth Amendment privacy rights.
“AI is going to greatly amplify that collection ability, which amplifies the need for oversight and controls to protect our citizens,” he said. “I think we should just recognize that that’s the case.”
Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), the committee’s chairman, told lawmakers he planned to hold a committee business meeting early next week to vote on Clayton’s nomination before sending it to the Senate floor for a final vote.
Tyler Durden Wed, 07/15/2026 - 21:45