Aggregator
Owning a rare Frank Lloyd Wright home isn’t the paradise you’d imagine — but that isn’t stopping some buyers
Researcher Finds Backdoor In Chinese-Made Routers Sold Worldwide
Authored by Evgenia Filimianova via The Epoch Times,
Cybersecurity company VulnCheck said on Aug. 5 that it has found that more than 20 models of a Chinese-made wireless router sold worldwide contain a hidden backdoor that could allow unauthorized access to devices connected to the network.
File photograph of ethernet cables running from the back of a router in Washington on March 21, 2019. Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty ImagesThe finding adds to growing Western concerns about cybersecurity risks posed by Chinese-made networking equipment. Western governments have warned for years about hackers exploiting such devices, and U.S. regulators moved this year to restrict imports of foreign-made routers.
Jacob Baines, chief technology officer at VulnCheck, who found the backdoor, said in a blog post that the vulnerability, dubbed "Endlessdoors," affects routers manufactured by Shenzhen Zhibotong Electronics Co. and sold under the Zbtlink and Wiflyer brand names.
Routers serve as the gateway between internet-connected devices and the wider internet, directing traffic to computers, smartphones, smart televisions, cameras, and other connected equipment. Because routers manage internet traffic between connected devices and the wider internet, vulnerabilities affecting them can expose entire home or business networks.
Baines estimates that at least 100,000 such routers are deployed worldwide. The backdoor Baines discovered automatically "dials the same tiny set of endpoints," Baines said in a blog post on the company's website. Whoever controls those domains could take control of the router and potentially use it to access other devices on the same network, he said.
Baines said most people who order this router and use it for their small business or home office would likely have no clue that it could allow this sort of access.
"If I have it in my lab, in my lab at my university, you just invited them straight into your lab and they can roam the network as they choose," Baines said. "The capabilities are devastating."
Western governments have warned about Chinese-linked hackers abusing small office and home office routers and other internet devices to gain access to networks for later intrusions as well as cyberespionage.
Beijing regularly denies condoning or carrying out cyberattacks or cyberespionage.
The Epoch Times reached out to Shenzhen Zhibotong Electronics/Zbtlink for comment but didn't receive a response by publication time.
US ScrutinyThe findings come as U.S. officials continue to increase scrutiny of networking equipment manufactured by companies with links to China.
In March, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced restrictions on imports of certain foreign-made consumer routers over national security concerns.
The FCC said in a March 23 statement that foreign-made routers had been exploited by malicious actors to target U.S. households, disrupt networks, conduct espionage, and steal intellectual property.
"Foreign-made routers were also involved in the Volt, Flax, and Salt Typhoon cyberattacks targeting vital U.S. infrastructure," it added.
In February, Texas filed a lawsuit against TP-Link Systems, alleging the networking company exposed American consumers' devices to Chinese regime access.
In response to the lawsuit, TP-Link Systems, which was spun off from a Chinese company, said it would "vigorously defend" its reputation, called the allegations "without merit," and added that the Chinese communist regime has no form of ownership or control over the company, its products, or user data.
Risk for NetworksVulnCheck on Wednesday published a list of 20 affected models and urged organizations to determine whether any remain deployed in their networks.
VulnCheck said users should identify affected devices by their model numbers rather than the brand name because Zbtlink manufactures routers for other companies under original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and original design manufacturer (ODM) agreements.
The company recommended replacing affected devices where possible, restricting remote management access, and installing firmware updates if security fixes become available.
In this photo illustration, a hacker types on a computer keyboard on May 13, 2025. Oleksii Pydsosonnii/The Epoch Times Tyler Durden Thu, 08/06/2026 - 07:20Suspects in deadly Connecticut home invasion arrested in attack that rocked beach town
George Lombard Jr.’s soccer background helped create foundation for rise to Yankees
Supreme Court must go to bat for baseball great Roberto Clemente — and defend our property rights
"If Clarity Dies, Democrats Killed It": Lummis Urges Senate To Act On Crypto Bill Before Recess
Pro-bitcoin Senator Cynthia Lummis has said that bipartisan work is going into the crypto Clarity Act but warned that some lawmakers are still making unreasonable demands.
The Republican, speaking to Fox Business Wednesday, said that she had been working with Democratic lawmakers into the night to get the bill over the line.
But, as Bitcoin Magazine's Mathew Di Salvo reports, she said that some Democrats were still dragging their feet on the bill. Lawmakers are pushing to get a vote on the crypto market structure bill before the Senate goes to recess.
JUST IN: 🇺🇸 Senator Cynthia Lummis says "I believe we will get a vote on the Clarity Act before August recess." 👀
"I don't think we'll be leaving on Friday, I think we'll go into the weekend."
Pass it! 🚀
pic.twitter.com/1AZR7DzEln
“The president agreed to an ethics provision that no president has ever agreed to,” Lummis said.
“He’s gone farther to protect ethics than any president in history — yet the Democrats do want more. Their proposal is in front of the president now, and we’ll see what he does.”
She added:
“We’re going to vote on it. If it dies, it’s going to be because the Democrats kill it. I’ve bent over backwards for 11 months, to give them as much as we can possibly give them to regulate this industry.”
The Clarity Act has been in a deadlock for much of 2026, partially because the banking lobby raised concerns over crypto companies allowing clients to earn stablecoin yield.
An updated bill of the Clarity Act was introduced in July addressing concerns around ethics; it now bans government officials and their families from issuing or promoting crypto.
Democrats have criticized President Trump’s family crypto business ventures. The White House has always said there have been no conflicts of interest.
A group of Democrats in July said the bill needs work.
Major financial institutions like Fidelity and BlackRock, and law enforcement organizations have thrown their weight behind the new bill,
If passed, the Clarity Act would create a regulatory framework for the U.S. cryptocurrency market.
Tyler Durden Thu, 08/06/2026 - 06:55Dr. Anthony Fauci’s phone turned over to Senate panel ahead of contempt vote
Anti-Trump Canadian lunatic who was ordered deported after slapping teen suffers another embarrassing blow
EU To Use $1.62 Billion In Interest From Frozen Russian Assets To Support Ukraine
Authored by Victoria Friedman via The Epoch Times,
The European Union will use $1.62 billion accumulated from interest on frozen Russian assets to support Ukraine, the union's executive branch has said.
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen speaks during a news conference as part of the European Council meeting to discuss Ukraine, European defense, recent developments in the Middle East, competitiveness, housing, and migration, in Brussels, Belgium, on Oct. 23, 2025. Nicolas Tucat/AFP via Getty ImagesThe European Commission said in an Aug. 4 statement that the funds, transferred to the bloc on Monday, came from the immobilized assets of Russia's central bank being held by the Central Securities Depositories in the EU.
This was the fifth such transfer of its kind, with the seized assets having generated a total of $9.23 billion in interest.
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said that Moscow "must pay for the destruction it has caused. And we are using the proceeds from the immobilised Russian assets to make sure it does."
"We are making a further [$1.62] billion of them available to Ukraine. This will support Ukraine's continued resistance against Russia's illegal war," she said.
The funds are from assets immobilized under EU sanctions, which were imposed in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Billions FrozenThe majority of frozen Russian assets are being held by Euroclear, a financial market infrastructure group based in Belgium. Euroclear holds around $213 billion in assets, with another $29 billion held predominantly in France, Germany, Sweden, and Cyprus, according to figures quoted by the European Council in December 2025.
The EU says that while the assets are immobilized, the interest does not belong to Russia, with the European Council deciding the net profits should go to support Ukraine.
Moscow has previously called funds from Russian frozen assets that are given to Ukraine "stolen money."
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on June 24: "It is one thing when you are free to dispose of your assets and receive the interest stipulated by the agreement with Euroclear, while everything above that belongs to them. But you are still free to manage your own funds.
"When your assets are frozen and they tell you, 'You sit tight for now, while we make additional profits here and hand them all over to Ukraine,' this is a very serious matter from the standpoint of the West's attempts to convince everyone that the world order they created and that functioned through modern institutions of global governance - the IMF, the World Trade Organization - remains relevant."
The vast majority of the proceeds - 95 percent - will be distributed to the Ukraine Loan Cooperation Mechanism, which provides support to Ukraine in repaying financial assistance loans and loans provided by the G7. The remaining 5 percent provides funding for military and defense needs.
Russian SanctionsLast week, EU members agreed on the bloc's 21st round of sanctions against Russia, mainly targeting financial institutions, in a bid to weaken Moscow's economy and affect its war effort.
Von der Leyen said on July 23 that the bloc was adding 32 Russian banks to its transaction-ban list, as well as oil trading platforms and cryptocurrency firms.
The package also freezes the oil price cap for one year "so that the Russian war machine does not benefit from market shocks," she said.
In response, the Russian Permanent Mission said that "European bureaucracy, disregarding the economic costs, continues to pursue its course of escalating confrontation with Russia."
The July 23 statement said that the restrictions "will further aggravate the already acute social and economic problems in the European Union," which the mission said was due to the bloc's decision to drop Russian energy supplies and to continue to spend billions on aid to Ukraine, "all against the backdrop of instability in global energy markets due to the escalation of the conflict in the Middle East."
"We reaffirm that the hostile unilateral coercive measures of the European Union against our country will be met with an effective and due response from Russia," the mission said.
Tyler Durden Thu, 08/06/2026 - 06:30Self-help guru Nicole LePera’s throuple falls apart as lover says she was abused then cut out of $3.5M empire: suit
Yankees fan sues for $10M after bat thrown into stands clobbers her in the head
On a GLP-1? There’s a vacation for that
Why one of Leon Rose’s top front-office lieutenants felt the time was right to leave Knicks
Miss North Carolina USA Brittany Boltinhouse stripped of title after alleged racist posts resurface
Search for Amelia Earhart’s long-lost plane reignites with ambitious new expedition
Why Anna Wintour is ‘obsessed’ with John Galliano — even if honoring him at Met Gala will make A-listers cancel
Why Anna Wintour is ‘obsessed’ with John Galliano — even if honoring him at Met Gala will make A-listers cancel
Neiman Marcus accused of bungling workplace complaints — including from staff lawyer with brain cancer
Spot The Odd One Out...
While almost one million people crossed the $1 million wealth threshold in 2025, that growth was far from evenly shared across countries.
This visualization, via Visual Capitalist's Bruno Venditti, ranks the 31 countries that added the most new USD millionaires between 2024 and 2025, revealing where personal wealth expanded fastest over the past year.
The data comes from the UBS Global Wealth Report 2026, which tracks individuals whose net worth exceeded $1 million USD.
The U.S. Dominates Global Wealth CreationThe United States added 441,078 new millionaires in one year, more than 10 times the total recorded by the second-ranked UK.
RankCountryNew USD millionaires (2024–2025) 1🇺🇸 U.S.441,078 2🇬🇧 UK43,139 3🇫🇷 France34,604 4🇪🇸 Spain32,707 5🇯🇵 Japan31,428 6🇮🇳 India31,033 7🇮🇹 Italy28,596 8🇦🇺 Australia25,089 9🇩🇪 Germany24,263 10🇷🇺 Russia21,951 11🇰🇷 South Korea20,227 12🇨🇳 China14,079 13🇹🇼 Taiwan9,864 14🇮🇪 Ireland9,491 15🇧🇷 Brazil9,215 16🇨🇭 Switzerland8,907 17🇮🇱 Israel8,803 18🇲🇽 Mexico8,724 19🇸🇦 Saudi Arabia8,718 20🇦🇪 UAE6,277 21🇹🇷 Türkiye5,650 22🇸🇬 Singapore5,240 23🇵🇱 Poland3,888 24🇿🇦 South Africa3,840 25🇬🇷 Greece2,762 26🇨🇱 Chile2,593 27🇭🇰 Hong Kong SAR1,891 28🇭🇺 Hungary1,349 29🇱🇻 Latvia1,131 30🇱🇹 Lithuania921 31🇶🇦 Qatar528Canada was not included in this year’s UBS Wealth Report for the ranking and is absent.
American households accounted for nearly half of everyone worldwide who crossed the $1 million threshold in 2025, underscoring the country’s outsized role in global wealth creation.
Strong equity market performance, widespread household investment participation, and resilient economic growth contributed to rising personal wealth.
Europe Claims Many of the Top SpotsEurope is well represented throughout the ranking, with the United Kingdom, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, Poland, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, and Lithuania all appearing in the top 31.
The UK ranked second overall, adding more than 43,000 new millionaires, while France and Spain each added more than 30,000.
Although no single European country approached the U.S. total, six of the top 10 countries were in Europe. This points to broad-based wealth growth across several major economies rather than one dominant regional market.
Asia Adds New Millionaires Across Major MarketsJapan and India each added more than 31,000 new millionaires, followed by South Korea with more than 20,000 and China with more than 14,000.
Smaller financial hubs such as Taiwan, Singapore, and Hong Kong SAR also made the list despite their relatively modest populations.
Asia’s results highlight two paths to wealth creation. India continued adding millionaires alongside rapid economic expansion, while mature markets such as Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong SAR, and Singapore generated new wealth through established household asset bases and rising financial markets.
To learn more about this topic, check out this graphic on the world’s richest countries by GDP per capita.
Tyler Durden Thu, 08/06/2026 - 05:45